by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Concrete In Australia : September 2013
20 Concrete in Australia Vol 39 No 3 NEWS Heritage recognition of 113-year-old bridge by Owen Peake An interpretation panel and Engineering Heritage Marker were unveiled at Wheelers Bridge, 20km north of Ballarat on 15 June at a ceremony attended by some 50 people. Wheelers Bridge was the third Monier arch bridge to be built in Victoria and the second of a total of seventeen built by Monash and Anderson in Victoria before World War I. Engineers Australia national president Dr Marlene Kanga compared Wheelers Bridge, in service for 113 years, with the current development of the NBN -- engineering innovations of their respective times delivering "game-changing" outcomes for their communities. Hepburn Shire Council mayor Bill McClenaghan commented that although the bridge was still in service, it had deteriorated and needed to be restored. e council has already commenced engineering investigations of options for the future of the bridge. ere had been an earlier bridge over Birch Creek at this site since 1866. e bridge served local communities and farms as well as a signi cant local deep lead-gold mining industry. e original wooden bridge had deteriorated by the late 19th century. In 1898 the Melbourne rm Monash and Anderson, which held the rights over the Monier arch bridge patents in Victoria, was involved in discussions for the building of a new reinforced concrete bridge. Drawings and speci cations for a Monier arch bridge were presented to the council in July 1898 and the council let a contract to Jenkins Bros of Ballarat to build some elements of the bridge in December 1898. e contract work went slowly and there were many disputes; however, Jenkins Bros did complete the foundations, abutments, central pier and the mass concrete "skewbacks" on which the ends of the arches would rest. In September 1899, a special gang of Monash and Anderson s workers, directed by Anderson himself, cast the rst arch strips comprising half the width of the bridge over both spans. In October 1899, the council terminated the contract with Jenkins Bros, and Monash and Anderson undertook the remainder of the work. John Monash played a signi cant role in the later work on the bridge. e bridge was tested with two steam traction engines and o cially opened on 30 March 1900. Owen Peake is chair of Engineering Heritage Victoria. With over 10,000 mixes on offer, Hanson is your single source for concrete for all projects ranging from footpaths and driveways, to houses and large infrastructure developments. For orders and enquiries: Concrete 13 2662 Aggregates 13 3666